Nothing beats the excitement of having a clean hard hat. Having a clean hard hat is a great way to start your day.
It will give you strength, positive vibes, and focus on your work. Moreover, the hard hat protects you from injury, electric shock, rain, debris, and impact with tools or objects.
This article will share how to clean a hard hat. You do not need any experience to clean it; even if you are a beginner, you will still do a perfect job.
Keep reading through the article to get well-detailed information. Let’s get started!
Why Do You Need to Clean a Hard Hat?
a. You need to clean your hard hat to remove dirt and chemicals that accumulate so that your health is not affected.
b. To be able to determine when to replace the suspension. The suspension is where the headrests are made of a soft material that wears quickly.
c. Cleaning helps inspect the hard hat and check for cracks on the shells. If it is cracked, the hard hat is no longer safe and you need to replace it with another one.
How to Clean a Hard Hat?
It would be best to clean your hard hat regularly to continue being safe at your workplace. Cleaning a hard hat is easy and does not take time.
You only need to be careful to clean all the parts of the hard hat and the stains or substance on the hat.
1. Dirt cleaning
– Tools you need
- A bowl
- Mild soap
- Warm water
- A clean cloth
- A dry cloth
- A dryer
1. Make a solution of warm water and mild soap in a bowl.
2. Then dip the clean cloth in the soap solution.
3. After that, rub the cloth against the dirt on the hard hat with gentle motions.
4. Continue rubbing gently until all the dirt has been removed
5. Then rinse the hat with water and use a dry cloth to dry the hard hat completely
6. After that, air-dry it using a dryer.
Also Read: How to Put a Hatband on a Cowboy Hat?
2. Tar cleaning
– Tools you need
- plastic knife
- stone paper
- An automobile remover
- dry cloth
1. Use the knife to remove the tar off the hard hat.
2. Remove the upper part of the primary tar then, use the stone paper to remove the remaining tar.
3. After that, use the automobile tar remover to get rid of the leftover tar.
4. Then use a dry cloth to clean the head hat.
3. Spot cleaning
– Tools you need
- Both dry cloth & wet cloth
- Rubbing alcohol
- A dryer
1. Use a wet cloth to wipe the hard hat. And dry it using a dryer.
2. Then pour the rubbing alcohol on a cloth and wipe the spotted area using the cloth.
3. After you will notice your hard hat is spotless.
Also Read: How to Keep A Cowboy Hat On In The Wind?
How to Clean the Hard Hat Sweatband?
1. Use of a shampoo
First, you apply a sizable amount of shampoo to the sweatband. Then you can use a toothbrush to scrub the sweat stain.
If the sweatband is stubborn, apply more shampoo and scrub gently repeatedly. It only takes 5 minutes to be clean.
After that, wash with cold water and shampoo foam. Then rinse with cold water alone again. Finally, you can air dry it with a dryer. Now your hard hat is clean.
2. Use of baking soda and vinegar
Prepare a solution of vinegar and baking soda in a bowl. Then apply the solution to the sweatband to remove the sweat stain.
You can scrub a little with a toothbrush or rub the area gently to remove the stain quickly.
After that, rinse with warm water at least twice and wipe the hard hat with a dry cloth or air dry it using a dryer.
Now, your hard hat is clean and ready to use.
How to Clean the Hard Hat Liner?
1. Use of soap-water solution
Make a solution of soap and water in a bowel. Then dip the liner in the bowel and let it soak for 1 hour to 2 hours maximum.
After that, remove it from the soap solution and squeeze it to remove the remaining soap solution in the liner.
Then, rinse the liner with warm water and air dry using a dryer. After this, your liner will be clean and ready to use.
2. Hand-washing using Ammonia and cold water
You can mix ammonia and water in a bowl. Then dip the liner in it and hand-wash it for about 10 minutes.
After that, squeeze the liner to remove the solution of ammonia and water in it. Then rinse it with cold water thrice. Now air-dry it using a dryer and your liner will be clean for use.
Tips on How to Store Your Hard Hat
The hard hat needs protection against debris, dirt, direct sunlight, and contamination. Therefore, it is vital to store your hard hat properly in the following ways:
1. Keep your hard hat far away from children.
2. Do not keep your hard hat on the vehicle’s dashboard; it may slip off, get cracked, or be damaged.
3. Do not keep your hard hat near direct sunlight, furnaces, or ovens because it will ruin the integrity of the hard hat.
Also Read: How to Block A Hat with Ease?
1. Can you put your hard hat in the washing machine?
No, the high heat and bleach detergents ruin the integrity of the hard hat leading to damage or crack on the hard hat.
2. What is not recommended for cleaning hard hats?
Do not use solvents, harsh detergents, or abrasives on sap, tar, and other stains that cannot be removed by water and soap.
The chemicals interfere with the integrity of your hard hat suspension and shell.
3. How often should you change a hard hat liner?
It would be best to replace the liner after every 2 years. However, this depends on the manufacturer’s guide and yourself.
If your liner gets damaged, you should replace it immediately.
In conclusion, cleaning a hard hat is easy and does not need to be experienced. You only need to be careful when cleaning the different parts of the hard hat.
Also, you need to know how to remove different stains on your hard hat. I hope you enjoyed reading this article and you can use it as a guide to clean your hard hat.