Maintenance of the gloves is one of the elements that are overlooked like it doesn’t do anything. However, boxing gloves are one of those gears that are more likely to become smelly and full of bacteria due to germs generated by sweating.
In addition to this, a clean pair of gloves will reduce the chance of skin irritation and infections on your hands only if maintained properly.
Cleaning boxing gloves is not a big deal. All you need to do is follow a few precautions so that they are able to serve you longer.
In this article, we will help you learn how to clean boxing gloves and why it is necessary!
– Clean and Washing –
Why Should You Clean Your Boxing Gloves?
We all have heard the phrase” Prevention is better than cure.” which means skin infections are not a joke. That shows that cleaning the gloves after every use is as important as considering their quality.
However, if you keep your gloves maintained, you’re more likely to use them for a longer duration. Not just that but your gloves will smell better and remain good as new!
Also Read: Nitrile vs Latex Gloves: Which Is Better?
What Cleaning Detergent Could Be Used for Washing Boxing Gloves?
There is no specific detergent recommended for them but make sure you don’t leave them in your bag overnight.
However, you can use a quality-based deodorizer and spray to prevent odor and keep them fresh.
Tips to Wash Boxing Gloves
1. When it comes to washing boxing gloves it’s a big NO to the washing machine and dryer.
2. Besides, make sure to follow the washing instructions given by the manufacturer as it will help you in a better way.
3. The only problem with washing gloves is that they will get loaded with plenty of moisture which makes them difficult to dry. Moreover, before they dry, you will find mold and bacteria in them which can cause a musty smell.
The dryer may kill the bacteria with high heat (Note control the dryer temperature for neither too high nor too low).
– Makes Your Boxing Gloves Smell Better –
Why Do Your Boxing Gloves Stink? How to Solve?
Moisture is the biggest contributor to smell as it allows bacteria to multiply easily. However, make sure to air your gloves timely before it’s too late.
If your gloves start sticking, here are a few things you can do to treat them,
1. Wet and wiping.
Wet the inside and outside of the glove or take a wet cloth to prevent the bacteria from spreading. Wiping will help in treating the smell by using a glove deodorizer or spray.
2. Using baking soda.
You can also use baking soda for sticky gloves by leaving it inside the gloves for a few hours. In addition to this, if baking soda doesn’t work for you try using vinegar or bleach in the same manner. It all depends upon the intensity of the smell.
However, if the above-mentioned steps are no longer helpful this means you need to buy a new pair of gloves as soon as possible.
Make sure to air and clean them after every use if you want to prevent them from sticking. This will also help in keeping the gloves for a longer duration.
How to Stop Boxing Gloves Smelling in the Future?
It is important to maintain your gloves properly as without care they will decay within no time. Sweating can cause a lot of bacteria in the gloves which is the reason for smelling.
However, going to the gym and doing an intense workout means a lot of sweat!
In addition to this, make sure to follow the simple maintenance procedure that will help in preventing your gloves from smelling,
1. Always carry a travel-size sanitizer to prevent the gloves from smelling.
2. Do not put them in a washing machine or dryer as it will crack the leather.
3. Try using hand wraps as they soak up a lot of sweat and protect the hand from skin irritation and infection. They can be washed easily in the machine as compared to gloves.
4. Make sure not to freeze the gloves as it will only make the bacteria inactive.
5. Don’t leave them in the sun as it will shrink the gloves and easier to crack.
6. Keep silica gel away from boxing gloves.
7. Air them as soon as you are done with your training session.
8. Use gloves spray and deodorizer to keep them fresh.
– Maintenance –
How to Disinfect Boxing Gloves?
There are no certain products found when it comes to disinfecting the gloves. But there’re several alternative ways to keep your boxing gloves clean and tidy.
1. Use glove disinfectants or deodorizers
If your boxing gloves have started smelling, you can use a gloves disinfectant or a deodorizer that is designed for athletic apparatus.
Moreover, the disinfectant spray is designed to kill the filthy odor-causing harmful bacteria and fungi in order to prevent the smell.
Make sure to get one with organic essential oils instead of chemical-based as it will damage the gloves.
2. Use Lysol
You can also use Lysol for extra odor protection as it works wonders. All you need to do is spray it before you dry the gloves.
3. Washing the outside of gloves
Another way to disinfect the gloves is by washing the outside of the gloves with the help of an antibacterial soap using warm water.
This will help in removing all the dirt and bacteria. Turn the gloves inside out and repeat the same process. Lastly, hang them to dry!
How to Take Care of Boxing Gloves?
Maintenance of gloves is not as difficult as it sounds. However, by following the below-mentioned steps you can keep your gloves good as new for a longer duration,
1. By wiping your gloves using vinegar instead of chemical-based disinfectant spray. Here diluted white vinegar is the best alternative when it comes to deodorizing the gloves.
All you need to do is take a tablespoon of vinegar in a spray bottle and fill the rest with water. This will help in disinfecting the gloves effectively and keeping them in a good condition.
2. Make sure to dry them after each use as it is the biggest reason for bacterial growth. This not only makes the gloves smelly but decays them within no time.
No matter what you use to clean them but don’t forget to dry them after that as it reduces bacterial growth. Most importantly don’t leave them in the sunlight as the UV light is not good for them.
3. Avoid using a dryer with ultra-high heat and washing machine as it destroys the leather and padding of the boxing gloves.
4. Moreover, conditioning of the leather also helps in keeping the gloves fresh as it is the skin of an animal. However, conditioning prevents them from drying.
It is necessary if you are using organic-based leather gloves or if you want to prevent them from cracking.
It can be done by using a natural or synthetic-based oil cream inside the leather of the gloves.
Here the oil will help in keeping the leather flexible and reducing the chances of stiffness and cracking. Conditioning the leather will improve the durability of the leather and keep it soft.
5. You can also use glove dogs which are a pair of fabric tubes packed with all important absorbing material.
The best part of glove dogs is that they feature to dry the boxing gloves from the inside and leave a pleasant smell. They also help in maintaining the shape of the boxing gloves.
1. Can You Put Boxing Gloves in a Washing Machine?
As mentioned earlier, it is not recommended to use a washing machine or dryer with high heat for the boxing gloves.
It is best to keep them away from the washing machine if you want to last them longer.
2. How Often to Clean Boxing Gloves?
If you want to keep them fresh for a longer duration, make sure to clean them after each session.
It is necessary to clean them because it will produce bacteria that multiply the growth if not cleaned which also makes them sticky and smelly.
Having said that the guide to cleaning the boxing gloves came to an end. We hope that this article was beneficial for you in every possible aspect that you were curious about.
Make sure to follow the mentioned precautions if you want to keep your gloves fresh for a longer duration.